It is my pleasure to welcome you to the website of Samuel Adegboyega University, Ogwa, Edo State, Nigeria in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ. Samuel Adegboyega University's existence was pronounced through prophetic ministration on January 1, 2005. Subsequently, the University Core Committee (UCC) was inaugurated on September 22, 2005 and charged with the responsibility of setting up a university for the Church. The UCC (of which I was privileged to be a member) was later expanded to become the Planning and Implementation Committee.
The Federal Executive Council at its meeting of Wednesday, March 2, 2011 approved the issuance of a provisional licence for the operation of Samuel Adegboyega University (a tertiary institution of The Apostolic Church, LAWNA Territory, Nigeria) as a private university in Nigeria. Subsequently, on Monday, March 7, 2011, the then Honourable Minister of Education, Prof. Ruqquayat Ahmed Rufai, OON, presented the provisional licence to Pastor (Dr) Gabriel Oladele Olutola, (JP), the LAWNA Chairman representing the Proprietor (The Apostolic Church, Lagos, Western and Northern Areas (LAWNA) Territory, Nigeria). The University thus became the 45th private university and 117th overall in Nigeria.
Samuel Adegboyega University is a significant landmark in the academic heritage of its Proprietor. The institution was conceived to place strong premium on Godliness as well as academic excellence, coupled with a profound emphasis on the importance of service to others as a meaningful way to develop values that will enrich the world. Wherever your interest lies, whether in pure and applied sciences, management and social sciences, humanities or entrepreneurship, you will find it at SAU. It is a comprehensive centre of learning which is technologically on the cutting edge, internationally connected in terms of curriculum, and moving toward a diversity that reflects the realities of our world.
The vision of the University has its root in the vision of the founding fathers as reflected in its Logo, Motto, Colours, Vision and Mission:
- Logo: The Logo depicts, "learning under the tutelage of a good shepherd who nurtures and disciplines with loving care for excellence"
- Motto: "To nurture for discipline and excellence"
- Colours: "Gold (for excellence), Blue (for love of God and humanity), Red (for life)."
- Vision: "To be a world class university, excellent in academic traditions and exceptional in providing university education which empowers the graduates to act with professional competence and ethical steadfastness in fulfilling their obligations to the society."
- Mission: "To provide wholesome and comprehensive education for intellectual and spiritual development of her students in preparation for leadership roles and service to the society".
- A merit-driven, ICT-based and entrepreneurial-oriented world class centre of excellence, providing quality teaching and learning experience for production of entrepreneurial graduates, with sufficient service, learning and leadership training, capable of impacting positively on the society while being globally competitive.
- An institution committed to being a research intensive and community responsive centre of excellence which is steady in the pursuit of academic innovations, excellent in theoretical and entrepreneurial teaching, internationalized research, community service and sound character.
- Production of graduates that shall be arrow-heads of socio-economic, technological development and good governance in Nigeria and globally.
- It is envisioned to be a non-discriminatory, gender comfortable, and equal opportunity University, which will also serve as an evangelism instrument aimed at restoring the dignity of man as an image of God.
Samuel Adegboyega University was not set up simply to add to the number of universities dotting the higher education landscape of Nigeria. Rather, the University was established to meet a felt need for a higher institution that will make significant difference in addressing the challenges confronting the higher education sector in Nigeria and African continent at large, including problems of access, quality, funding, relevance, and integrity.
It is pertinent to mention here that the products of Samuel Adegboyega University would be computer literate and graduate with three certificates as follows:
- Degree certificates in the various fields of study.
- Professional training and examinations that will make our graduates to become professionally qualified at the point of graduation or soon after, and
- A certificate in vocational and entrepreneurial studies which is to ensure that our graduates can stand on their feet at graduation.
1. In respect of professional qualifications, students are encouraged and assisted to form students association of their respective programmes with a view to acquiring student membership of the professional association of their discipline. An example is the Chemical Society of Nigeria, SAU Chapter, comprising students on chemistry and biochemistry programmes, which was inaugurated on November 26, 2013 with N100,000 grant from the University. In respect of ICT certification, the University signed an MOU with New Horizons International in June 2013 for partnership in ICT training for her students under which students would be prepared for examinations of international computer certification agencies such as CISCO, CompTIA and Oracle. The MOU was actualized in November 2013, when New Horizons International commenced installation of 30 computer sets with furniture in a dedicated hall provided by the University. The training commenced in January 2014 by the University, with lecturers supplied by the University and New Horizons.
2. In respect of entrepreneurship training, the University goes beyond the regular General Studies component as mandated by the National Universities Commission to establish a full-fledged Entrepreneurial and Industrial Training and Research Centre. The foundation of the building was laid on November 15th, 2013, to be completed in three months, where selected skills would be taught to students with which upon graduation they could be self-employed and employer of labour instead of searching for paid employment.
3. To prepare our students academically for the world of competition, inter-college debate competition was introduced during the first half of 2013. In November, our students participated in an International Inter-Tertiary Institutions Debate competition organized by Impact African International and was held in the American Embassy in Cotonou, Republic of Benin. Seven universities participated (one from Ghana, two from Benin, four from Nigeria). Our student won the most Eloquent Debater Award and the team (of four students) won the Best Behaved University Team Award.
Also in November, our students were invited to participate in an Essay Competition among the four tertiary institutions in Esan Central, Esan West, and Igueben Local Government Areas of Edo State. Our student came first in the competition. We have actively encouraged our students to participate in sporting competitions. In December the University's football team engaged teams from a tertiary institution and amateur team in the area in football competition. The University also sent a contingent of athletes and football teams (male and female) to participate in the Association of Nigerian Private Universities Games in December 2013.
Through these activities we have engaged our students mentally and physically. After all, we are conscious of the saying that "an idle hand is the devil's workshop".
The University, in its first phase, is offering academic programmes in Basic and Applied Sciences, Humanities and Management and Social Sciences. It has also started with a number of entrepreneurial ventures, including, a wide range of agricultural occupations.
In addition to the Visitor, Pastor (Dr.) E.S Awojide, the Chancellor, Pastor (Dr) Gabriel Oladele Olutola, JP (representative of the proprietor), there are in place a Board of Trustees (BOT) chaired by Overseer (Dr) Ebenezer Oluwole Okebukola, JP, a Governing Council chaired by Elder Bisi Ogunjobi, OON, the Vice-Chancellor, Professor Benard Eronmonsele Aigbokhan; the Ag. Registrar, Mr. Esan Oluyemi; the Ag. Bursar, Mr. Simeon Akinpelu and the University Librarian and great scholars leading the academic teams.
On our University's web pages, you will find relevant information on various units including, our Colleges, Departments, academic programmes, profiles of key personnel, admission matters,etc.
Development of the web pages is a continuous exercise. It is our hope that you will find what you want during this visit, if not, you can send a mail to the webmaster or to the Vice-Chancellor, at firstname.lastname@example.org
Being part of Samuel Adegboyega University is a great challenge, as it makes effort to exemplarily lead education reform in Nigeria and prepare credible graduates meant to be leaders that are productive, effective, honest, focused, service-oriented and God-fearing.
Welcome to Samuel Adegboyega University. We wish you a pleasant surfing experience.